April 10, 2007

Stashbuster Question of the Week

How did you come to start quilting? Was it passed down in the family? What was your first project and is it finished? Where does it live now?

My grandmother and mother were a quilters, but even though I was sewing since I was about 12 years old, quiting never really 'grabbed me' until after I was married and had my 2 children. I watched my Mama, but I took classes at a LQS in 1983. It was a great class where we learned about color, placement, different scales of prints, etc. I learned to do everything by hand -- piecing and quilting. Then I discovered the rotary cutter and mat!!! wooo hooooo!

The first projects I made were a tote bag made from our first quilt blocks and a wall hanging. I still have the tote bag, but, I do not know what happened to the wallhanging! Isn't that sad????

2 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

How lucky you are to have had a long line of quilting lineage in your family! Hope you still have some quilts around from your mother and grandmother.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I bet there were browns and little flower prints in the wallhanging and tote.