April 8, 2010

Remembering My Daddy

I am remembering my Daddy today as it would have been his 87th birthday. Below is a picture of Daddy standing in front of his TV van. Don't you just love that turquoise color? The picture does not do it justice. What you don't see in this picture are his crutches. My Daddy was crippled and wore braces on both legs and walked with crutches. He was in constant pain, but he never let that get in the way of providing for his family. He had a TV Sales/Repair Shop in Humble, TX. Not only did he repair TVs in his shop, he made 'house calls' where he would go into homes to repair TVs. Now days, we just throw away the TV and buy another. I remember when color TVs were available, we had one! People would come to our house to see the TV 'in living color'. I wonder what he would think of the TVs we have today -- hugh ones, flat screens, high definition, digital, etc.?????

He loved his kids and he loved his grandkids. He liked to take the grandkids to "the little store" so they could buy candy. Daddy was a veteran and served our country in World War II. He was also a amateur radio operator and at one time was the Civil Defense Director for Harris County Texas. He used to perform "telephone patches" via his ham radio so that servicemen could talk to their families via the radio.

He had a heart of gold and would give you his last dollar if you needed it. He had a rough life on this ole earth but now I know he is one of God's Angels and is now pain-free, running, and laughing. And I'm sure he is pulling tricks on the other angels and telling all those corny jokes. I love you and miss you terribly Daddy!!!!

8 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Birthday to your dear Daddy! He sure sounds like a special man!

Zlaty said...

What a nice tribute to your daddy! Reminds me of my father! He was sick too but worked very hard all his life to provide for us! Happy B-day to your dad!

The kat"s tale said...

Love is forever

Kim West said...

Thank you Kathy! I miss him too. I think he would be in awe of the huge TVs, but I know he would shake his head in disgust of the "throw away" mentatlity of TVs now a days. I would always love going to the "little store" with him and helping carry on the tradition with his great grand kids. I am very glad my dad carries on the tradition with his grandkids when he can see them.

Rhonda said...

Kathy, what a great tribute to your dad. I'm sure he's smiling down on you and is very proud of his daughter.

Unknown said...

Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. Happy birthday.

hetty said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father. He sounds like a terrific Dad.

Teresa said...

We are so blessed to have had great dads. Thanks for sharing yours with us.